Friday, September 3, 2010

We'll Have A Gay Old Time!!!

I was thinking of the Flintstones theme when I wrote that subject line.

But you don't believe me, do you?

Such is the nature of today's society that the words gay, nuts, and cock (defined as a male rooster, hence the cock-a-doodle-doo, I guess) bring nothing but snickers and grins these days.

This point was brought home to me earlier this summer when I was at the Royal Alberta Museum for their weekly Monday classic film. Incidentally, the Museum is the other place in Edmonton where you can see a classic film on a big screen for five bucks, thanks to the Edmonton Film Society. I'll post a schedule tonight.

As is their custom, at a screening of the 1953 Esther Williams starrer Easy to Love, the Society showed a trailer for the next week's film, the 1949 Frank Sinatra-Gene Kelly classic On The Town. Emblazoned in text near the end is the following:

More Gay Than Anchors Aweigh!

Snickers and grins oh my!

The EFS has been bringing classic films to Edmontonians of all generations for over 60 years.

MTMG

No comments:

Post a Comment