Monday, November 29, 2010

RIP Leslie Nielsen

We have lost a true comic legend today. Leslie Nielsen died today in Florida at the age of 84. Personally I will remember Mr. Nielsen for four things:

1) Laughing my guts out in 1988 at the Naked Gun at Edmonton's Capitol Square theater, particularly during the press conference scene and baseball finale.

2) Getting a rare chance to see his serious side in 1996 when he brought his one-man show Darrow to Edmonton's Citadel Theater.

3) After seeing Airplane! for the first time on TV, at the age of 12, I was going to write a very indignant letter to Messers. Zucker, Abrahams, and Zucker. I was sure that there was no way the Bee Gees' Staying Alive should be in a scene set in the '40s. Didn't they know it wasn't out then? I'm sure it would have given them a laugh.

4) And of course, "Of course I'm serious. And don't call me Shirley."

Thanks for the joy sir.

MTMG

No comments:

Post a Comment