Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Pavarotti in Edmonton : November 25, 1995





20 years ago today, at about this time, I was on my way to the Edmonton Coliseum (now Rexall Place) to see Luciano Pavarotti, arguably still considered, even with his passing, one of the best singers in the world. Although I would not consider myself an avid opera fan, I had been to a few by then. And the fact that several of my family members were (and still are) involved in choirs meant that I had at least a basic familiarity with it going in. In fact, I was accompanied on this night by my uncle Laurier, himself no slouch in the vocal department, having a  doctorate in music and also vast experience giving vocal seminars all over the world. He has also led the College St. Jean choir in Edmonton for almost two decades. It was everything we both expected, with one unexpected yet hilarious surprise. After the instrumental break following the first verse of O Sole Mio, as the great man prepared to open his mouth in a pose not unlike the one pictured above, the voice of a spirited old Italian gent rang out in the dark to start it!

O. M. G. !

Talk about lifetime bragging rights for yourself and your descendants sir!

Did the maestro walk off in a fit? Thankfully no.

He just kind of smiled, politely put up his hand to silence the exuberant gentleman, and started it himself.

Say what you want about former Edmonton businessman Peter Pocklington and all his exploits, but I for one will always be grateful to the man for bringing Luciano Pavarotti to Edmonton because he was an avid opera fan. He risked a lot of money and lost some because the concert was not an exact sellout.  But Edmonton's place upon the cultural world stage was bolstered, as was my cultural education. Thank you Mr. Pocklington, thank you uncle Laurier, and most of all, thank you Maestro Pavarotti, for blessing our city with your presence and talent.

MTMG

No comments:

Post a Comment