Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Deadpool 2 Trailer: Eyes Like A Firefly




More of the same jokey, edgy goodness presumably awaits us in Deadpool 2 in 2018. Looking forward to it. But when I saw this in the theatre attached to Logan, I couldn't help but notice the selection of Firefly posters on one of the walls. I thought to myself, "oh shit, the calls for a Firefly reunion are gonna come out in force again."

And I thought that would be cool.

But then I thought that the Firefly TV show was yanked by the Fox network after airing 11 of its 14 episodes. So what network is gonna want to touch it?

The 2005 Serenity film, while providing a great story and a chance for series star Nathan Fillion to really get his John Wayne and Harrison Ford ids on, only made $10 million on its opening weekend and $25 million over its entire theatrical run, as per Box Office Mojo. And that was after one of the most ardent and impressive fan campaigns to get the movie made in the first place. So I can't see Universal ponying up again.

Fillion has recently said that it is time for us to move on. And I agree with him. Here's why.

We all know that Firefly writer-director Joss Whedon is a genius when it comes to creating worlds populated with people who constantly mouth witty and incisive dialogue. But we also know from Whedon's two Avengers films that while the dialogue in those films was serviceably witty, the overall vision of the films seemed massively watered down by the Disney/Marvel behemoth. That is what studios are these days. Behemoths. They have notes, and they expect things done a certain way. Whedon reportedly had problems and clashes, and it shows. So I really don't want to see a watered-down version of Firefly, just to get something out there. And I don't think either Fillion or Whedon want to either.

But long live Deadpool. Looking forward to it.

MTMG

No comments:

Post a Comment