Sunday, December 10, 2017

We Are (Still) The World




A friend posted this recently on Facebook.

And it got me thinking back.

I was 14 in 1985 when We Are The World came out and became a global phenomenon, building on the success of the British Do They Know It's Christmas and with the Canadian effort Tears Are Not Enough not too far off.

Of course, we can speculate about how much of the money actually got to Ethiopian famine relief, due to that country's corrupt government.

But I prefer to think of the hope that the words from the pens of  Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie gave to the world.

It was recorded at an all-night session following the American Music Awards.

There was a sign telling stars to leave their egos at the door.

And they all did.

Except for Waylon Jennings, who didn't want to sing a later-scrapped chorus in Swahili.

If I remember right, I think I sang this in a choir in Grade 6 as part of a St. Gabriel School food drive.

And had it recorded not on a phone, but on a real weighty video camera.

And it made me feel good to sing it then.

Still makes me feel good to hear it now.

Because I really can't think of more timely lyrics than "It's true we make a brighter day / Just you and me."


MTMG






No comments:

Post a Comment