Saturday, October 27, 2018

Saturday Night Retro Fun: Pocket Rockers?I



I prided myself on being a technology geek back in the day.

But I must admit I'd never heard of Pocket Rockers until the ad featured in Mr. Techmoan's video came up on one of the 80sCommercialVault videos on YouTube.

I almost certainly would never have worn one, since I was about seven years past the target age depicted in the 1988 commercial.

But I find the technology fascinating.

A mini 8-track.

Except of course with one major drawback.

At least on an 8-track, if a song had to fade out on one track, the interrupted track would fade in on the next.

Not here.

Two tracks, with three minutes of tape each.

In an era when the average song was four and a half to five minutes long.

Not good math, though I applaud Fisher-Price for taking the risk (and probably the financial bath) on the idea.

So as a service to young students of history, or for people like me who were there and just wanna bliss out, I have included the videos for the full versions of the Cutting Crew and Huey Lewis and the News songs featured on the tiny tapes. Here goes. Enjoy!















And now, the Huey Lewis classics, the first of which definitely has Saturday night monster movie appeal:










And from Back To The Future:









MTMG






No comments:

Post a Comment