Friday, January 10, 2020

RIP Neil Peart



Rush drummer Neil Peart has died at the age of 67, due to brain cancer.

To call him a legend and a genius seems appropriate.

However, Peart also possessed a bracing humility, which made him extremely uncomfortable with any conversation which began with "Holy shit! You're Neil Peart!"

Like most of my musical experiences and discoveries in the mid-80s, I became aware of Rush through what I heard on AM radio powerhouse 630 CHED, namely Closer To The Heart.

Later I heard Tom Sawyer for the first time on one of the station's periodic Top 630 countdowns.

And I was blown away by Peart's drumming.

I always thought he would be a cool guy to converse with.

And now thanks to George Strombopolous, I can see that Neil Peart was indeed the coolest of the humbly cool:



Rest well sir.

MTMG


No comments:

Post a Comment